Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Clay County Courthouse

 
 
Clay County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
1. Clay County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Clay County Courthouse is the oldest courthouse in the Pataula Judicial Circuit and one of the oldest in South Georgia. Construction began in 1871 and it was completed in 1873 as shown by Grand Jury Presentments recorded in Minute Book B pages 195, 294, 335, 380 and 381. It has been in continuous use on this same site.
 
Erected by Fort Gaines Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
 
Location. 31° 36.25′ N, 85° 2.921′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is on Washington Street (Georgia Route 39) 0 miles north of Hartford Road (Georgia Route 37), on the right when traveling north. The marker stands on the Clay County Courthouse lawn. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 Washington Street S, Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines (here, next to this marker); Clay County (here, next to this marker); Queen City of the Chattahoochee (within shouting distance of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
this marker); Fort Gaines Guards (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Sites (about 700 feet away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Gaines (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
 
Clay County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
2. Clay County Courthouse Marker
Clay County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. Clay County Courthouse Marker
The courthouse is in the background.
Clay County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
4. Clay County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 467 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on October 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47762

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024