Chicago in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
William Le Baron Jenney, architect
— 1891 —
The city’s earliest surviving steal-frame building, a type of construction that changed commercial architecture. As one of the first structures clad in terra cotta, it marked an important step in the development of the architectural terra cotta industry. It was built by Mary Ludington to house the American Book Company, and it represents one of the high points of its architect, who is widely considered to be the “father of the skyscraper.”
Designated on July 10, 1996
Richard M. Daley, Mayor
Erected 1996 by Commission on Chicago Landmarks.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks. In addition, it is included in the Illinois, Chicago Landmarks Commission series list.
Location. 41° 52.142′ N, 87° 37.562′ W. Marker is in Chicago, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker is at the intersection of South Wabash Avenue and East 11th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Wabash Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1104 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago IL 60605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fairbanks Morse & Company Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hotel Somerset (about 500 feet away); 910 South Michigan (about 600 feet away); Aaron Montgomery Ward Gardens (about 700 feet away); Crane Company Building (about 700 feet away); John A. Logan (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central Station Fragments (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Chicago (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chicago.
Also see . . . Serving, Saving & Saluting the South Loop - Ludington Building. This is the website of Columbia College. (Submitted on October 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 630 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.