Grand Haven in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Grand Trunk Western, Wood Caboose No. 77915
Early car department records indicate that it was rebuilt in 1925.
This all-wood caboose was used by the conductor as a rolling office, complete with desk and chair to prepare his paperwork. The rear brakeman sat in the seat in the cupola to watch over the train while it was in motion. Typically, the caboose was outfitted with a coal or wood stove, ice box, drinking water tank, sleeping bunks and kerosene lamps.
It was donated anonymously to the City of Grand Haven in 1980.
Construction - all wood with steel underframe
length 24 feet
width 10 feet
height 15 feet
Weight 43,000 pounds
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
Location. 43° 4.045′ N, 86° 13.7′ W. Marker is in Grand Haven, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is on Jackson Ave near North First Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Haven MI 49417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Pere Marquette Caboose No. A-986 (a few steps from this marker); Grand Trunk Western Standard Coaling Tower (a few steps from this marker); Pere Marquette Auto Box Car No 72222 (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Trunk Western Bridge Approach Signal (within shouting distance of this marker); Pere Marquette Steam Locomotive (within shouting distance of this marker); Model 5 Autoflag "Wig-Wag" Crossing Signal (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Reformed Church (approx. Ό mile away); Akeley Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Haven.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 3,226 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.