Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The 1890s signaled growth in terms of state-chartered banking institutions: Bank of Madison (1888), Jefferson Street Bank in (1891-1908), and Bank of Morgan County (1899-1922). By 1895, banking had moved to Washington Street, where two institutions occupied existing commercial buildings and extensively remodeled to create new downtown landmarks.
Banks of this era were not typical red brick storefronts, instead they used architecture to imply their institutions were prosperous, stable, and enduring (i.e., high grade materials and classical elements). Bank of Morgan County (c. 1908) used Classical Revival (ceramic brick, columns, and portico); whereas, Bank of Madison (c. 1919) used Renaissance Revival (yellow brick, terra cotta tiles, brackets) to define itself.
Erected 2011 by City of
Location. 33° 35.717′ N, 83° 28.05′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on East Washington Street 0 miles east of South Main Street (U.S. 129), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 East Washington Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Madison (within shouting distance of this marker); Oliver Hardy, Genius of Comedy (within shouting distance of this marker); Civic Advancement (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Tappan Thompson (about 300 feet away); In Memory of the Boys from Morgan County, Georgia (about 300 feet away); Morgan County (about 400 feet away); Lodging Establishments (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Banking Institutions.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.