Grand Haven in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Pere Marquette Caboose No. A-986
The caboose was truly a rolling office, complete with a coal stove, ice box, drinking water tank, sink and sleeping bunks.
The conductor used desk space provided to do his paper work and the rear brakeman sat in the cupola to watch over the train while it was in motion.
This car was equipped with the unique "Duryea Cushioned Underframe".
This caboose was at one time used on the nightly "Cannonball" freight train that ran from Muskegon, thorugh Grand Haven to Grand Rapids.
It was retired from service in 1981 and donated to the City of Grand Haven by the Chessie System in 1983.
Construction - All steel
Length - 32 feet
Width - 10 feet
Height - 14 feet
Weight - 45,000 lbs
Erected by Pere Marquette 1223 Preservation Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 43° 4.048′ N, 86° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Haven MI 49417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pere Marquette Auto Box Car No 72222 (a few steps from this marker); Grand Trunk Western, Wood Caboose No. 77915 (a few steps from this marker); Pere Marquette Steam Locomotive No. 1223 Class N-1, 2-8-4 Berkshire Type (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Trunk Western Standard Coaling Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Trunk Western Bridge Approach Signal (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Trunk Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central School (approx. half a mile away); Grand Haven (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Haven.
Also see . . . The official web site of the Pere Marquette Historical Society. (Submitted on April 17, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,547 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 27, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. 2. submitted on January 17, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.