Evansville in Vanderburgh County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
McCurdy - Sears Building
Built in 1920 for financier and philanthropist William H. McCurdy (1853-1930), president of Old National Bank. Constructed of reinforced concrete with poured concrete floors, employing architectural developments newly pioneered for industrial buildings. Building leased by Sears, Roebuck and Company in 1925 for retail use.
This very successful store was Sears' first retail outlet located outside a mail order city. Sears' expansion to department stores was prompted by population shifts from rural to urban areas. Building was remodeled and enlarged 1937, 1943, 1946. Store closed 1975. Renovated and restored 1991. Building listed in National Register of Historic Places 1979.
Erected 1999 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Vanderburgh County Historical Society, and Old National Bancorp. (Marker Number 82.1999.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 37° 58.37′ N, 87° 34.269′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 NW 4th Street, Evansville IN 47708, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wabash and Erie Canal (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Short Lived Canal (about 400 feet away); Vanderburgh County World War I Honor Roll (about 400 feet away); Sheriff's Residence and Jail (about 500 feet away); Vanderburgh County World War II Honor Roll (about 600 feet away); Holy Trinity Parish Sesquicentennial (about 800 feet away); Albion Fellows Bacon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ohio River Levee (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Evansville.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for McCurdy - Sears Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 440 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.