On May 15, 1905 Senator William Clark's railroad auctioned off lots to found the new town of Las Vegas. Block 20, between Second and Third and Carson and Bridger, was reserved for public purposes. In 1909 when the state legislature created Clark County, leading citizens contributed $1,800 to build a small one-story concrete-block county courthouse on Carson Street. In 1911 when the City of Las Vegas was incorporated, the city and the county shared the space.
In 1914 Clark County hired Nevada's most prominent architect, Frederick DeLongchamps, to design a permanent county courthouse. The two-story building cost about $50,000 to construct and furnish, and featured marble and granite interiors. Large columns and Mission-style arches adorned the exterior. The graceful neo-classical structure, set in the middle of the square and surrounded by a park, became a gathering place for county residents. Civic functions were held on the front steps of the courthouse, with the audience seated on the lawn.
After 1914 when the county offices moved into the new courthouse, city government offices and later the library shared the old courthouse.
In 1959 the county replaced the DeLongchamps building with a seven-story powder blue structure designed by the architectural firm of Zick and Sharp. That building was added to in the 1980's, but in the 21st century, county court functions needed more space.
The current Regional Justice Center opened at 200 Lewis Avenue in October 2005. County offices are located in the Clark County Government Center at 500 S. Grand Central Pkwy, where a grassy outdoor amphitheater serves as a gathering place for county residents.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics. A significant historical date for this entry is May 15, 1905.
Location. 36° 10.116′ N, 115° 8.648′ W. Marker is in Las Vegas, Nevada, in Clark County. Marker is on South 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on South 3rd Street half-way between Carson & Bridger Avenues. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Las Vegas NV 89101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Preservation (a few steps from this marker); First Church Built in Las Vegas (within shouting distance of this marker); Neon / Atomic Testing
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 508 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 3, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?