New Harmony in Posey County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
New Harmony Workingmen's Institute
William Maclure and other intellectuals came to New Harmony 1826 to join Robert Owen's utopian experiment. Maclure established the Workingmen's Institute 1838 to serve as model of self-education for laborers. Operated in various New Harmony sites until construction of this Romanesque style building 1894.
This is the last remaining workingmen's library of 144 in 89 Indiana counties sponsored by Maclure's bequest. It still serves as library, archives, and museum and is oldest continuously operating public library in the state. Part of National Historic Landmark Historic District designated 1966.
Erected 2001 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Workingmen's Institute. (Marker Number 65.2001.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
Location. 38° 7.735′ N, 87° 56.164′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 West Tavern Street, New Harmony IN 47631, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Harmony (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Harmony, Indiana (1814-1827) (about 400 feet away); David Dale Owen (about 400 feet away); Rappite Community House No. 2 (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named New Harmony (about 600 feet away); New Harmony Area Veterans Memorial (about 800 feet away); In Perfect Harmony (approx. 0.2 miles away); Maclure Park Bandstand (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Harmony.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 4, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.