Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Through recently discovered documents and maps found in Scotland and the Netherlands, a Seafarer's Tavern was on this site in or around 1686.
Located on Charleston's working waterfront for three centuries, it has had many names: The Tavern on the Bluff's, Harris's Tavern, Mrs. Coates Tavern by the Bay, and more that have been lost to time.
In 1903 it became a "Whiskey Store". During Prohibition liquor still flowed thanks to the intrepid rum runners. Following Repeal, The Tavern returned legally, and has been found to be the nation's oldest Spirits Establishment in continuous operation.
Location. 32° 46.583′ N, 79° 55.6′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is at the intersection of East Bay Street and Exchange Street, on the right when traveling north on East Bay Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 East Bay Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. As Old as Charleston (here, next to this marker); Convention on Ratification (within shouting distance of this marker); Walker, Evans & Cogswell Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee Cohen Harby (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); One Broad Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Bank of the United States (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 83-107 East Bay Street Rainbow Row (about 300 feet away); One North Adger's Wharf (about 300 feet away); Col. Othneil Beale's House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for The Tavern.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 622 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.