Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Vernon in Posey County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Posey County History / Early Mt. Vernon History

 
 
Full View - - Posey County History / Early Mt. Vernon History Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 1, 2011
1. Full View - - Posey County History / Early Mt. Vernon History Marker
Inscription.  
Left Plaque

Posey County History

The first recorded white man to come to Posey County was Tom Jones in 1794. Posey County was named in honor of Thomas Posey. Governor of the Indiana Territory at the time it was created on Sept. 7, 1814. After several changes the present boundary lines were fixed in 1823.

The first horse-powered mill was built in 1810 by James Black. The first County Seat was Blackford in Jan. 1815, and the first Court was held in Blackford in Oct. 1816. The County Seat was moved to Mt. Vernon in 1825. The seal of Posey County, adopted in 1835, was in honor of William Henry Harrison.

The plank road with toll gates was built between New Harmony and Mt. Vernon in 1851. The first women’s club in the United States was the Minerva Society, organized in New Harmony in 1859. The first railroad line through Posey County was the St. Louis and Southeastern in 1869.

The present Court House was built in 1867 at a cost of $95,000. The first Judge of Posey County Circuit Court was Isaac Blackford. The County Clerk and Recorder was William E. Stewart. The Treasurer was Samuel
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Jones. The Auditor was Thomas F. Prosser, and the Sheriff was John Carson.

Posey County’s most famous town, New Harmony, was the site of two experiments in Communal living: first under Father Rapp, The Harmony Society from 1814 to 1824, and then under Robert Owen from 1825 to 1860.

Donated by Mt. Vernon Civitan Club
Sept. 1, 1979


Right Plaque

Early Mt. Vernon History

A Scotchman, Andrew (Tweedle-Dee-Dum) McFadin, a friend of Daniel Boone, crossed the Ohio and discovered the location of our present city in 1798. He was determined to make it his home because of its elevation. In 1806 he built a log cabin at the foot of what is now College Avenue. He was joined by two cousins, William and “Slim Andy” Andrew McFadin. At the suggestion of Wm. McFadin they called the site McFadin’s Bluff. The McFadin’s were joined by William Weir, Thomas Givens, Aaron Williams, Aaron Burlison, Absolum Duckworth, Paul and Thomas Casselberry, Thomas Duckworth, William and Hugh Todd, John Black, and the Rev. Samuel Jones a Baptist Minister.

General William Henry Harrison purchased all of the section’s 371.82 acres on May 25, 1807.

The first white child born in the vicinity was Malinda Weir in 1807. In 1811 the first steamboat passed the village. The first school was built in 1814. On “Muster
Posey County History Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 1, 2011
2. Posey County History Plaque
Day” in 1816 Sam Rowe proposed honoring George Washington by changing the town’s name to Mt. Vernon. In 1816 the first plat was laid out by John Wagoner, on the West side of Mill Creek and the present public square. Fifteen families were living in Mt. Vernon at the time. The County Seat was moved to Mt. Vernon in 1825. The first incorporation was in 1832. The first Lodge was instituted in 1848, the I.O.O.F. Mt Vernon was incorporated the second time in 1849. At that time 350 people lived in the village.

Information by
Posey County Historical Society

 
Erected 1979 by Mt. Vernon Civitan Club.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #09 William Henry Harrison series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1908.
 
Location. 37° 55.901′ N, 87° 53.71′ W. Marker is in Mount Vernon, Indiana, in Posey County. Marker is on Main Street south of East 4th Street (State Road 62), on the left when traveling south. Located on the West Entrance walk-way of the Posey County Courthouse in Mount Vernon, Indiana. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Vernon IN 47620, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Posey County Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (here, next to this marker);
Early Mt. Vernon History Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 1, 2011
3. Early Mt. Vernon History Plaque
Posey County American Revolution Honor Roll (a few steps from this marker); Port of Indiana (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Vernon's Historic Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Alvin P. Hovey (about 400 feet away); Bettie Taylor Phillips (approx. 10.9 miles away in Kentucky); New Harmony Workingmen's Institute (approx. 13.8 miles away); Maclure Park Bandstand (approx. 13.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Vernon.
 
Looking South - - Posey County History / Early Mt. Vernon History Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 1, 2011
4. Looking South - - Posey County History / Early Mt. Vernon History Marker
Long View - - Posey County History / Early Mt. Vernon History Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 1, 2011
5. Long View - - Posey County History / Early Mt. Vernon History Marker
Posey County Courthouse - - Mount Vernon, Indiana image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 1, 2011
6. Posey County Courthouse - - Mount Vernon, Indiana
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,659 times since then and 175 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 12, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48215

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024