Tiverton in Newport County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
Through the unrelenting efforts of Dr. James W. Holt, Jr. Fort Barton was preserved. It was given to the town of Tiverton by the Newport Historical Society in 1968. In 1777 the site was fortified by the colonial army to defend against British troops then occupying Aquidneck Island, and from here was launched an ill-fated invasion in 1778, which came to be known as the Battle of Rhode Island. The restoration of the redoubt and the development of adjacent woodland trails was planned and implemented by Dr. Holt.
This plaque not only honors this site as a historic monument, but honors Dr. Holt’s efforts and achievements on behalf of the town.
Dedicated August 18, 2001
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 41° 37.535′ N, 71° 12.46′ W. Marker is in Tiverton, Rhode Island, in Newport County. Marker is at the intersection of Highland Road and Lawton Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Highland Road. Marker is located Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tiverton RI 02878, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Barton (within shouting distance of this marker); Holt’s Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Portsmouth Compact (approx. 2 miles away); Butts Hill Fort (approx. 2.3 miles away); W 3 R (approx. 2.4 miles away); Battle of Rhode Island 1778 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Garden of New England (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of the Battle of Rhode Island (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiverton.
More about this marker. The marker is a bronze plaque with a 13-star flag at the top.
Also see . . . The Battle of Rhode Island. (Submitted on October 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 889 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.