Beatrice in Gage County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
We Answered the Call
— 1861 - Today —
The United States Congress officially ended the draft in September 28, 1971. Since then, volunteer armed forces have been called to protect freedom throughout the world.
In 2001, the Beatrice National Guard was deployed to Kuwait with the 1-167 Cavalry, the first deployment of Company C since the end of World War II. Our Guard Unit continues to "Answer the Call": in Bosnia in 2003 and in Iraq in 2006 and 2007.
For the last 60 years, because of our success as a super power, American fighting men and women have fought to better the state of humanity throughout the world. Democracy spreads wherever our veterans serve.
President Beatrice Rotary 2006
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • War, 2nd Iraq.
Location. 40° 15.277′ N, 96° 44.82′ W. Marker is in Beatrice, Nebraska, in Gage County. Marker is along the walking path in Beatrice Veterans Memorial Park, at South 6th Street (US Hwy 77) and Veterans Memorial Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1050 South 6th Street, Beatrice NE 68310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Beatrice's Own - Civil War and the Spanish-American War (here, next to this marker); Containing Communism - The Berlin and Cuban Crises and Vietnam (here, next to this marker); Beatrice's Own - Company C 134th Infantry Regiment Nebraska National Guard (a few steps from this marker); World War II (a few steps from this marker); War Efforts at Home (a few steps from this marker); World War I (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial Drive (within shouting distance of this marker); Fighting Communism - Korea and the Cold War (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beatrice.
Regarding Freedom Fighters. C Troop, 1-134 Cavalry, is a unit of the Nebraska Army National Guard.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.