Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The 1836 Fort

 
 
The 1836 Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
1. The 1836 Fort Marker
Inscription.  In May of 1836 the 88th Regiment of the Georgia Militia built a small fort in anticipation of an attack by the Creek Indians. The Steamer Georgian had arrived crowded with women and children fleeing from the Indian uprising at Roanoke upriver. The Steamer, Anna Calhoun was pressed for 5,000 pounds of bacon and 8 barrels of flour in order to feed the refugees and militia.

The uprising was quelled before the fighting reached Fort Gaines. This was one of the last major insurgences of the Creeks before their removal to the West.
 
Erected 1996 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Local Color Publishers, and “Tale of the Naked Hitchhiker”.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWars, US Indian. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1836.
 
Location. 31° 36.357′ N, 85° 3.29′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of Bluff Street and Carroll Street, on the right when traveling south on Bluff Street. The marker is located some distance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
from Bluff Street, at the rear of the 1927 Women's Club House, located near the levee. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In the Confederacy (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Lattice Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Gaines (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Pioneer Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Chattahoochee River Crossing (approx. 0.3 miles away in Alabama); Franklin - First Beachhead into East Alabama (approx. 0.3 miles away in Alabama); Fort Gaines Guards (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
 
The 1836 Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
2. The 1836 Fort Marker
The 1836 Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. The 1836 Fort Marker
Looking south from the cannon emplacement at the marker and the Women's Club, built in 1927.
Site of the Fort image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
4. Site of the Fort
The marker (and the 1836 Fort) adjoin this gun emplacement, dating from the Civil War.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 867 times since then and 100 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48229

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2024