New London in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
This five-sided fort was built between 1839 and 1852 to protect New London Harbor as part of a broad system of coastal fortification undertaken by the federal government. This is the third Fort Trumbull built on this promontory, which was known as Mamacock or Fort Neck.
The granite for the massive walls came from the quarry at Millstone Point. Three walls, with four bastions projecting for the corners, face the water for defense against a naval attack. The ravelin, the angular stone structure to the right of this sign, protected the fort entrance in the event of an attack on land. Cannon mounted in chambers called casemates could fire through openings in the walls, called embrasures. Cannon were also mounted on top of the walls.
During the Civil War, the fort served as a recruiting station. Thereafter, artillery companies served here until 1907, when the army downgraded Fort Trumbull to a supply post. Three new forts had been built on islands at the entrance to Long Island Sound, and these were more important strategically.
This fort is built in the Egyptian Revival style, well suited to its imposing
Erected by Fort Trumbull State Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 41° 20.636′ N, 72° 5.61′ W. Marker is in New London, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker can be reached from East Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located in Fort Trumbull State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New London CT 06320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cold War (within shouting distance of this marker); Scientific Research (within shouting distance of this marker); Merchant Marine (within shouting distance of this marker); North Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Scientific Research (within shouting distance of this marker); Parade Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); “Aim, Load, Fire” (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Civil War to 1910 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New London.
More about this marker. A picture of Fort Trumbull at the lower right of the marker has a caption of “This view of Fort Trumbull from the water was painted by Seth Eastman around 1870. Frances Caulkins, New London’s historian, wrote in the mid-nineteenth century, ‘In the forefront of the town, admirably situated for the defense of the harbor, stands Fort Trumbull, a fine specimen of mural architecture, complete in design and finish, massive, new, and in perfect order.’
Photo courtesy of the Architect of the Capital, U.S. Senate Collection, Washington, D.C.”
Also see . . . History of Fort Trumbull. Friends (Submitted on October 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 598 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 13, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.