Town of Farmington in Washington County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saxonia House was erected by Ernst Klessig, a brewer, who also built an adjacent brewery. The aging “cellar,” a large cave dug into a small hill with a huge stone entrance arch, still exists south of the house.
The Town of Farmington Turn-Verein Association, later called Turners, was organized here and held meetings in the building until 1867. Saxonia House also housed the local Post Office for several years.
Washington County, Wisconsin
Erected 2000 by Washington County Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 99-001.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 43° 29.884′ N, 88° 3.399′ W. Marker is in Town of Farmington, Wisconsin, in Washington County. Marker is on County Highway H 0.2 miles east of County Highway M, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 421 CTH H, Fredonia WI 53021, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boltonville Mill (approx. 3 miles away); Boltonville Church (approx. 3 miles away); St. Peter's Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Robert Cooley Homestead (approx. 3.7 miles away); Birthplace of Flag Day (approx. 4 miles away); Theodore Rietz Distillery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lizard Mound Park (approx. 4.8 miles away); Freedom Park (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Town of Farmington.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 13, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.