Near Parks in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Beale Wagon Road
Americas Great Camel Experiment 1857-1858
Photographed by Frank Houdek, July 17, 2010
1. Beale Wagon Road Marker
Inscription.
Beale Wagon Road. Americas Great Camel Experiment 1857-1858. In the summer of 1857 former Navy Lt. Edward F. Beale was chosen by the Buchanan Administration to develop a wagon road from Fort Defiance, New Mexico Territory (now Arizona) to the Colorado River along the 35th parallel. Secretary of War John B. Floyd also charged Beale with conducting a test to determine the suitability of camels for use by the U.S. Army in the deserts of the American Southwest. To this end, the army issued Beale 25 camels from its herd stationed at Camp Verde, Texas. Syrian and Egyptian camel drivers were hired. Beale was quite impressed with the exotic animals and claimed the experiment a resounding success. Compared to horses and mules the camel could carry a much larger load faster and over longer distances, go farther without water, and subsist on plants that other animals would not eat. With the advent of the Civil War many of the politicians and military men supporting the use of camels went south, and despite Beales glowing reports the army dropped the camel experiment.
In the summer of 1857 former Navy Lt. Edward F. Beale was chosen by the Buchanan Administration to develop a wagon road from Fort Defiance, New Mexico Territory (now Arizona) to the Colorado River along the 35th parallel. Secretary of War John B. Floyd also charged Beale with conducting a test to determine the suitability of camels for use by the U.S. Army in the deserts of the American Southwest. To this end, the army issued Beale 25 camels from its herd stationed at Camp Verde, Texas. Syrian and Egyptian camel drivers were hired. Beale was quite impressed with the exotic animals and claimed the experiment a resounding success. Compared to horses and mules the camel could carry a much larger load faster and over longer distances, go farther without water, and subsist on plants that other animals would not eat. With the advent of the Civil War many of the politicians and military men supporting the use of camels went south, and despite Beales glowing reports the army dropped the camel experiment.
Erected 2010 by Transierra Roisterous Alliance of Senior Humbugs (E Clampus Vitus) and the Williams Ranger District - Kaibab
Click or scan to see this page online
National Forest.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Military. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 35° 20.667′ N, 111° 54.746′ W. Marker is near Parks, Arizona, in Coconino County. It is on Forest Service Road 100, on the right when traveling west. Google maps will give exact driving directions from the town of Williams. Driving time is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Parks AZ 86018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Flagstaff & High Country and in Hopi. It is also in the American Southwest, in the Mountain West, in Colorado Plateau, and at the Four Corners. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain and also Mexicos Alta California.
the ugly, irascible camels. One the little-known footnotes of American history is really a fascinating story.(Submitted on October 16, 2011.)
Photographed by Frank Houdek, September 24, 2010
3. Beale Wagon Road Marker
Due to the fire in the Forest in July, 2010 the plaque could not be erected until two months later. The two men pictured are Ken Berry on the left and Keith Dodds on the right after the plaque was erected on 09/24/2010. Members of TRASH and Lost Dutchman Chapter 5917+4 ECV.
Photographed by Randi, October 17, 2023
4. Beale Wagon Road Marker
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2011, by Frank Houdek of Kingman, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,320 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:1, 2, 3. submitted on October 15, 2011, by Frank Houdek of Kingman, Arizona. 4. submitted on October 17, 2023, by Randi of Seligman, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.