Big Springs in Shawnee County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First United Brethren in Christ Church in Kansas
A First Kansas Church
— 1856 —
Built by Rev. W. A. Cardwell
see other side
The first church of the United Brethren in Christ, in Kansas, now Evangelical United Brethren, was built by Rew. W. A. Cardwell, in 1856, about 100 ft. southwest of this marker.
In 1956 the denomination dedicated this memorial celebrating 100 years of service to Christ in this community and throughout the state.
Historical data preserved in box in foundation
Erected 1956 by Evangelical United Brethren Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 39° 0.767′ N, 95° 29.004′ W. Marker is in Big Springs, Kansas, in Shawnee County. Marker is on U.S. 40, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 96 Highway 40, Lecompton KS 66050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Purple Heart Trail in Kansas (approx. 1˝ miles away); Lecompton (approx. 1˝ miles away); Coon Point Lecompton (approx. 5.2 miles away); Sheriff Samuel J. Jones (approx. 5.3 miles away); Lecompton Constitution Hall (approx. 5.3 miles away); Lane University (approx. 5.4 miles away); Democratic Headquarters (approx. 5˝ miles away).
Also see . . . History of Big Springs United Methodist Church. (Submitted on October 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 610 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 18, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.