Adams Grove in Southampton County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Virginia Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number U-102.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 14, 1781.
Location. 36° 41.169′ N, 77° 23.091′ W. Marker is in Adams Grove, Virginia, in Southampton County. Marker is on Southampton Blvd (U.S. 58) near Adams Grove Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Drewryville VA 23844, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Y. Mason's Home (a few steps from this marker); Sussex County / Greensville County (approx. 7.2 miles away); Memorial League WWI Memorial (approx. 8.3 miles away); Greensville County Training SchoolEmporia Railroad History (approx. 8.4 miles away); Hicksford Raid Monument (approx. 8.6 miles away); John Day (approx. 8.6 miles away); Butts Tavern (approx. 8.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Military History,Biographies,Army,American Revolution,Banastre Tarleton. During his long military career Tarleton steadily moved up through the ranks. His promotions include major (1776), lieutenant colonel (1778), colonel (1790), major general (1794), lieutenant general (1801), and general (1812). In addition, Tarleton served as a Member of Parliament for Liverpool (1790), as well as was made a Baronet (1815) and a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath (1820). (Submitted on October 23, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 23, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.