Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shingletown in Shasta County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Shingletown Store

 
 
Shingletown Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 7, 2011
1. Shingletown Store Marker
Inscription.  Freeland's store was built by John and Jane Freeland in 1854. Jane was registered as a sole trader in 1861, in Sierra Township (Shingletown) in the businesses of stockraising, farming and hotel-keeping, with their sons Bradford and William. The store was sold to John McCarley and Al "The Banker" Smith. In 1871, McCarley & Smith built the first hotel of account and later bought the dry sawmill. The store sold everything from harness, tools, rigging, clothing, feed and grain, to steam tractors, until they sold in 1910. The building also housed a cafe, bar, and at times the post office, established June 24, 1874, McCarley as postmaster. The original building was torn down in 1966.

Dedicated July 25, 1998, by
Mt. Lassen Historical Society and
E Clampus Vitus, Trinitarianus Chapter #62

 
Erected 1998 by Mt. Lassen Historical Society and E Clampus Vitus, Trinitarianus Chapter #62.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 24, 1936.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
40° 29.557′ N, 121° 53.282′ W. Marker is in Shingletown, California, in Shasta County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 44 and Wilson Hill Road, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 44. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31268 Highway 44, Shingletown CA 96088, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nobles Trail - Shingletown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nobles Emigrant Trail (about 500 feet away); Noble’s Bungalow (approx. 1.8 miles away); Charlie’s Place (approx. 3.6 miles away); Nobles Trail – Charley’s Ranch (approx. 3.9 miles away); Manton Store (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hennessy House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Manton Schoolhouse (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shingletown.
 
The Shingletown Store today image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 7, 2011
2. The Shingletown Store today
As noted on the marker, the original was demolished in 1966.
Shingletown Store Marker - wide view, looking west image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 7, 2011
3. Shingletown Store Marker - wide view, looking west
The marker is mounted on a stone monument by the flagpole, a couple hundred feet east of the Shingletown Store.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 1,138 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 20, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.   2. submitted on October 21, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.   3. submitted on October 20, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48578

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024