Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Petersburg Volunteers 1812
Petersburg Volunteers who left this
site on Oct. 21, 1812 to fight the British
at Fort Meigs, in the Ohio Territory.
Erected 2008 by The Hampton Roads Chapter N.S.U.S.D. 1812.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812.
Location. 37° 13.796′ N, 77° 24.07′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is on Centre Hill Court north of Franklin Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln In Petersburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Courthouse (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); East Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Formation of the Southern Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ladies Confederate Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Petersburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different Battle of Petersburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old U.S. Customs House & Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
Also see . . . The Petersburg Volunteers, 1812-1813. "...The long awaited day for the departure of the Petersburg Volunteers finally arrived on October 21, 1812. At an early hour, the company and citizens began to assemble on Centre Hill, and by ten o'clock the spacious ground was filled..." (Submitted on October 23, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.