Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Georgetown Presbyterian Church

 
 
Georgetown Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2011
1. Georgetown Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1859 a petition was submitted to the Lewes Presbytery requesting the creation of a Presbyterian Church in Georgetown. The congregation was organized the following year. Meetings were first held in the Sussex County Courthouse. The church was incorporated in 1871, and the present site was obtained for the construction of a house of worship. The new chapel was dedicated in December 1872.
The building was extensively renovated in 1934, when the church was raised and a basement level added. The structure was expanded in 1954 with the construction of a church school addition. A brick veneer exterior was added at that time. A major expansion project was undertaken in 1999 with the addition of a Fellowship Hall and Christian Education facilities. The new wing was formally dedicated by the congregation in 2001.
 
Erected 2002 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC- 133.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1872.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
38° 41.532′ N, 75° 23.312′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on North Bedford Street, on the right when traveling south. Located between Edward and James Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 North Bedford Street, Georgetown DE 19947, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgetown Train Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wesley United Methodist (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chad E. Spicer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sussex County Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); W.W.I (approx. 0.2 miles away); “Pettijohn’s Old Field” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sussex County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Relocation of the County Seat (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Georgetown Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2011
2. Georgetown Presbyterian Church Marker
Georgetown Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2011
3. Georgetown Presbyterian Church
Georgetown Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2011
4. Georgetown Presbyterian Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 394 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48861

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024