Millsboro in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Godwin's School - District #190
On March 10, 1896, the State Board of Education approved a resolution recommending the creation of a new school district to serve the needs of local residents. The recommendation was forwarded to the Sussex County Levy Court with a petition from fifteen property owners stating that the neighborhood possessed more than the 35 “scholars” required to consider their request. The creation of District #190 was formally approved the following June.
A subscription was circulated to raise funds to construct a school here on land provided by local storeowner Jacob Reese Godwin. The new school was named in his honor. Classes were held here until 1936, when the district was consolidated with Millsboro School #23.
Erected 1999 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC- 129.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1872.
Location. 38° 36.041′ N, 75° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millsboro DE 19966, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial Fountain (approx. 2 miles away); POW ★ MIA (approx. 2 miles away); Stockley Tavern (approx. 2 miles away); Bethesda Methodist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Saint Mark's Episcopal Church (approx. 3 miles away); Home of John J. Williams (approx. 3 miles away); Indian River Hundred (approx. 3 miles away); The Ableman Homestead (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millsboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 546 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.