The History of Union Station
Vacated by the railroad in 1971, Union Station was rehabilitated by the Scully Family in 1985 for retail use. The State of Illinois leased the former train station for offices beginning in 1990, eventually purchasing the building in 1999.
A rehabilitation designed by White & Borgognoni Architects that began in 205 returned the station to its turn-of-the-century appearance. Union Station is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 39° 48.213′ N, 89° 38.912′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Illinois, in Sangamon County. Marker can be reached from N. 5th Street. Marker is in front of the station
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Acts of Intolerance (within shouting distance of this marker); Stuart and Lincoln Law Office (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Wedding of the Rose and the Lotus (about 600 feet away); Surveyor Presidents (about 600 feet away); Streetscape 1859 (about 700 feet away); Lincoln's Last Law Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joshua Speed's Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brunwick's Billiard Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.