Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This house is believed to have been built by Samuel Paynter, a carpenter who purchased this property in 1737. Following its completion, the house and surrounding land was sold in 1741 to Luke Shields, a prominent bay and river pilot. The close proximity of the bay and safe harbor of nearby Lewes Creek made this a prime location for those who practiced the competitive piloting profession. This section of Lewes, then some distance from the village, was known as Pilot Town, reflecting the occupation of its residents.
The property was purchased by Thomas S. Maull in 1836. The house was expanded with the addition of the present rear wing circa 1890, and it remained in the possession of the Maull family until 1957. It was obtained by the Colonel David Hall Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, in 1962. The Maull House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Erected 2000 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC- 138.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1737.
Location. 38° 46.889′ N, 75° 9.226′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Pilottown Road near Harborview Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 542 Pilottown Road, Lewes DE 19958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Major Henry Fisher (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. George African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church and Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); deVries Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); The De Vries Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); University of Delaware (approx. half a mile away); Station Master's House (approx. half a mile away); Tapping the Power of Wind Energy in Coastal Delaware (approx. 0.6 miles away); Harbeson Railroad Station Privy (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
Regarding Maull House. National Register of Historic Places:
Maull House (added 1970 - - #70000175)
Also known as The Thomas Maull House
542 Pilottown Rd. , Lewes
♦ Historic Significance: Information Potential, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Area of Significance:
♦ Period of Significance: 1700-1749
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
♦ Current Sub-function: Museum
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 605 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 10, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.