Downtown in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Beehler Umbrella Factory
Erected 1990 by The Albert Beehler, Jr. Family.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 39° 17.502′ N, 76° 37.1′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. It is in Downtown. Marker is on West Lexington Street east of North Howard street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 W Lexington St, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To Commemorate the Inauguration of a Chemical Industry in America (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baltimore Gas and Electric Company Building (about 400 feet away); South Union Building (about 400 feet away); St. Alphonsus Parish World War II Memorial (about 500 feet away); Provident Savings Bank (about 600 feet away); Westside Rectory of Old St. Paul’s Parish (about 700 feet away); Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr. (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Regarding Beehler Umbrella Factory. Baltimore can lay claim to the nation’s first umbrella factory, established by William Beehler in 1828. The company’s motto: “Born in Baltimore, raised everywhere.”
I looked for this marker on January 18, 2022. It appears that several buildings, including the one with the marker, have been razed as part of the redevelopment of Market Center. In the buildings' location is a temporary open green space/park called, "The Meadow".
— Submitted January 24, 2022, by Mary Noor of Baltimore, Maryland.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 7,278 times since then and 431 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week March 16, 2008. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.