Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Thankful Baptist Church

 
 
Thankful Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 30, 2011
1. Thankful Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Thankful Baptist Church was founded on April 26, 1840 under the name “Independent” in an area of Augusta known as “Pinched Gut”. It was the first daughter church established out of Springfield Baptist Church who emerged from the Silver Bluff Baptist Church, one of the oldest African American churches in the country. On May 13, 1898, civil rights activist Dr. W.E.B. Dubois spoke at Thankful and during the civil rights era Thankful was active in organizing non-violent protests for racial equality. Over the years, Thankful has given life to other churches including Macedonia Baptist Church in Augusta. Thankful Baptist Church was added to the national register of historic places in 1980.
 
Erected 2011 by The Georgia Historical Society the Thankful Baptist Church and the Lucy Craft Laney Museum. (Marker Number 121-16.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1735.
 
Location.
Thankful Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 30, 2011
2. Thankful Baptist Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
33° 28.025′ N, 81° 57.375′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Walker Street near 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 Walker Street, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De L Aigle Brick Yard (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bicentennial Augusta, Ga (approx. 0.2 miles away); Troop K Georgia Cavalry (approx. 0.2 miles away); De L Aigle Brick Yards (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans of All Wars (approx. 0.2 miles away); Magnolia Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Government House (approx. ¼ mile away); Amanda America Dickson Toomer (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
Thankful Baptist Church, Grave-site of pastor Reverend Henry Johnson image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 30, 2011
3. Thankful Baptist Church, Grave-site of pastor Reverend Henry Johnson
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 504 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48993

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022