Boston in Summit County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Boston Mills Road Bridge
An 1834 survey map provides the earliest evidence of a bridge crossing the Cuyahoga River at this site. This rendering, based on a 1890's postcard, shows a covered bridge connecting the Akron-Cleveland Road (now Riverview Road) to the village of Boston. Flood waters damaged the Boston Mills Road "Trust with Burr Arch" covered bridge in 1898 and again in 1913. The covered bridge was replaced with a steel through-girder bridge which utilized the original rock faced sandstone piers and abutments. Remnants of the sandstone abutments were left in place at each end of the current steel beam bridge constructed in 1999.
Location. 41° 15.763′ N, 81° 33.62′ W. Marker is in Boston, Ohio, in Summit County. Marker is on Boston Mills Road near Zielenski Court, on the left when traveling west. Marker is at the west end of the bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Peninsula OH 44264, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Industry Shapes the Valley (within shouting distance of this The Development of Valley Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Boston Store (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Linking the Wilderness to the World (about 500 feet away); A New Champion for an Old Canal (about 500 feet away); Boston (about 600 feet away); Robert L. Hunker (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boston.
Also see . . . Boston Mills Historic District. (Submitted on October 31, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
More. Search the internet for Boston Mills Road Bridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 31, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.