Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Original Site of Southwestern University
The Methodist church established four colleges in Texas prior to the Civil War: Rutersville College (1840), Wesleyan College (1844), McKenzie Institute (1848), and Soule University (1856). The Rev. Dr. Francis Asbury Mood (1830-1884) was named president of Soule University in Washington County in 1868. Soon after he took office, plans were begun to relocate the school and develop a centralized Methodist university.
About the same time, city leaders in Georgetown began plans to establish a college. This site was donated for that purpose by John J. Dimmitt and G. W. Glasscock, Jr., and a community school, instead of a college, opened in 1870.
Georgetown was among the cities competing for the site of the planned Methodist university. In 1873 this property was chosen as the site of the new institution, which was granted a union charter (with the four earlier colleges) in 1875 as Southwestern University. Dr. Mood served as president until his death.
Buildings added to the campus after 1873 included a young ladies school, a chapel, a boys dormitory (Giddings Hall), and a gymnasium. Southwestern University moved
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9341.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 30° 37.997′ N, 97° 40.372′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 507 E University Ave, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Negro Fine Arts School (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church of Georgetown (within shouting distance of this marker); Hammerlun Center for Leadership & Learning (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown High School Building (within shouting distance of this marker); George Irvine House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); G.W. Riley House (about 500 feet away); Burcham House (about 500 feet away); W.Y. Penn Home (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,015 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 22, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on August 22, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. 3. submitted on January 22, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.