Designed by architect A.C. Ewart, the building cost $35,000 in 1896. The brick structure has stone dressing and sheet metal decoration. It was renovated in 1972 as the headquarters for Capital Regional District.
This illustration is from Simon Leiser &Co.’s letterhead. The two right-hand bays of the building may never have been built.
Erected by British Columbia Heritage Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 48° 25.615′ N, 123° 22.175′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker is at the intersection of Yates Street and Waddington Alley on Yates Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 524 Yates Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1K8, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 541 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.