Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Freedom of Assembly
In the 1880-90s, fraternal and social orders extended the black social sphere to this corner of W. Washington Street. The Brothers & Sisters of Love & Charity, a mutual aid society offering life/employment insurance, built their Society Hall. The adjacent Odd Fellows Hall, also two-story, had lower stores that were occupied at times by a grocery, harness shop, carpenter, barber, and multiple restaurants. These businesses, as well as the nearby blacksmith, served as a commercial hub.
A 1904 brick replacement (post-fire) was later sold in halves. The Madison Colored Undertaking Company (later Mapp Funeral Home) anchored the west end, and the east end housed a myriad of black-owned enterprises, most notably the Brown Stock Co. and Morgan County NAACP offices.
Erected 2011 by City of
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 33° 35.783′ N, 83° 28.15′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street (Georgia Route 83) and Academy Street, on the left when traveling north on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reconstruction Property Rights (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Town Park (about 300 feet away); Industrial Corridor (about 300 feet away); Railroad Street Commerce (about 300 feet away); Madison (about 400 feet away); Lodging Establishments (about 500 feet away); The Town Spring (about 500 feet away); The Town Square (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
1. Building Torn Down
It appears that the marker is or was missing. The building was torn down in 2014, and replaced by a new building whose facade is an "exact match" for the original. The reconstruction used 26,000 of the original building's 40,000 bricks.
None of the history of the various African-American tenants mentioned on the marker exists in the new building, of course, so perhaps the marker was felt to no longer be appropriate. (It is also possible that the marker was later erected at the new building.)
— Submitted November 7, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 592 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.