Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grantsville in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Fuller-Baker House

A Rare Log Building with a Pedigree

 

— The Historic National Road —

 
The Fuller-Baker House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, July 17, 2020
1. The Fuller-Baker House Marker
Inscription.  This humble log cabin is a rare survivor of a common dwelling built by early settlers on the Allegheny frontier. Built after 1813 as a two-story log building, its large size has led some to believe it was once used as a tavern, giving respite to travelers along the National Road. It would be the only log tavern to survive on the old National Road between Cumberland and Wheeling, West Virginia.

Henry Fuller came to the Grantsville area in 1837 to work as a stonemason. His talents with stone and brick are still on display in several town buildings. He opened the National Hotel, the finest in the young community, but soon moved here, where he spent the rest of his life. The Bakers, also early settlers in the Grantsville area, were subsequent owners.

A Historic House on Historic Land. the Fuller-Baker House sits on land with an early-American pedigree. General Braddock's British army chose the site for its fifth camp as it marched to meet the French at Fort Duquesne in 1755.

In 1791, Thomas Johnson (1732—1819), Maryland's first governor, purchased 23,000 acres of Military Lots, fifty acre tracts of unclaimed
The Fuller-Baker House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 11, 2006
2. The Fuller-Baker House Marker
This is a previous version of the marker. The text is identical, except for the longer subtitle. Formatting is slightly different.
Click or scan to see
this page online
land set aside by Maryland to reward Revolutionary War veterans. The Fuller-Baker House site (Military Lot No. 2206) was a part of that purchase.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
 
Location. 39° 41.765′ N, 79° 10.335′ W. Marker is in Grantsville, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker can be reached from National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40) west of Shade Hollow Road, on the right when traveling west. Use Exit 19 on I-68. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grantsville MD 21536, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Braddock’s 5th Camp (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The National Road (approx. 0.8 miles away); Leo J. Beachy (approx. 0.9 miles away); Casselman Hotel (approx. 1.1 miles away); Traveling the National Road (approx. 1.1 miles away); Early Inns (approx. 1.1 miles away); Casselman River Bridge State Park (approx. 1˝ miles away); Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grantsville.
 
The Fuller-Baker House with the marker on its grounds image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, July 17, 2020
3. The Fuller-Baker House with the marker on its grounds
The Fuller-Baker House image. Click for full size.
circa 1979
4. The Fuller-Baker House
Fuller Baker Log House, Rear View image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 11, 2006
5. Fuller Baker Log House, Rear View
This is the view you see when you approach on U.S. 40 heading east. When heading west, you can miss the house for the trees.
Stonemason's Mark Over Coal Scuttle image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 11, 2006
6. Stonemason's Mark Over Coal Scuttle
You'll have to click on the image to zoom in. A stonemason's chisel and hammer are carved into a log over what might have been the coal scuttle to cellar.
Abandoned National Road Bridge over Shade Run, Next to House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 11, 2006
7. Abandoned National Road Bridge over Shade Run, Next to House
Abandoned National Road Bridge over Shade Run, Next to House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, August 11, 2006
8. Abandoned National Road Bridge over Shade Run, Next to House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,711 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on January 23, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. Photos:   1. submitted on July 19, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   2. submitted on August 11, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3. submitted on July 19, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   4. submitted on November 8, 2016.   5. submitted on August 11, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   6, 7, 8. submitted on August 12, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4921

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 29, 2022