Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Susan Moore in Blount County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Town of Susan Moore

 
 
Town of Susan Moore Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, October 26, 2011
1. Town of Susan Moore Marker
Inscription.  In 1864, traveling in an ox cart, Dr. Robert M. Moore left his family in Walton County, Georgia, and journeyed to Blount County, Alabama. Finding fertile land, he returned to Walton County and persuaded his wife to move to Blount County with him. In 1863, his wife and 10 children: William T., Zachariah C., Robert B., David S., B. Martin, John M., Jimmy H., D. Marion, Nancy C., and Sally, traveled in a covered wagon and settled in Moore’s section of land. All of the children married. As each child married, he or she was given a tract of land. David married Susan Nunnally. In 1883, Dr. Moore named the community where he built first house, Clarence, in honor of his oldest son. Dr. Moore’s office and drugstore were located in his home. His sons, David Jr. and Joe both became medical doctors. They and another doctor became partners and founded South Highland Hospital in Birmingham. In 1923, when Susan Moore died, David Moore Jr., and Joe were moved at their mother’s funeral to donate monies for the construction of a consolidated school in her honor. Susan Moore School was named. Robert B. Moore’s oldest son William Augustus was the first principal
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Susan Moore High School.

(Back):
The other sons became successful farmers and the daughters married farmers. Many descendants still live in this area and have made civic contributions to the community in many ways. Through the early years, farming was the main occupation of the residents. Corn and cotton were the money crops. The community of Clarence had a gin, sawmill, and a sorghum mill. Grocery stores were owned by various families throughout the community. On November 18, 1982, the residents of the community of Clarence decided to hold an election. The following month on December 21, an election was held to elect the council. Elected to the first council were J. L. Painter, J. M. Ballard, J. M. Jackson, R. F. Bryan, and W. F. Smallwood. The council members elected T. R. Jackson as mayor. The council voted on naming the town Susan Moore. The town was incorporated with 960 acres and a population of 351. The first clerk was Lucille Holmes.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Susan Moore. (Marker Number None.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1956.
 
Location. 34° 4.905′ N, 86° 25.231′ W. Marker is in Susan Moore, Alabama, in Blount County. Marker is on
Town of Susan Moore Marker, Side B image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, October 26, 2011
2. Town of Susan Moore Marker, Side B
Alabama Route 75, on the left when traveling north. Located next to the Susan Moore Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Altoona AL 35952, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bailey School (approx. 2˝ miles away); Battle Royal (approx. 4.3 miles away); Exploit of Murphree Sisters (approx. 4.3 miles away); Federal Raid (approx. 9 miles away); Antioch Cemetery (approx. 9˝ miles away); Ebenezer Hearn 1794-1862 (approx. 9.7 miles away); Blountsville (approx. 9.8 miles away); In Honor of Those Who Served (approx. 9.8 miles away).
 
Town of Susan Moore Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, October 26, 2011
3. Town of Susan Moore Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,189 times since then and 125 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 6, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49251

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024