New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Statue of Liberty’s pedestal sits atop the remains of Fort Wood, originally one link in a chain of defenses protecting New York City and its vital harbor. The fort was built between 1808 and 1811 in the shape of an eleven-pointed star and was occupied by the War Department as an army post until 1937. The eleven-pointed star design was brought to North America by French military engineers in the 17th century. The fort acted as a lookout position with harbor guns entrenched near the shore. Many incised markings, believed to be Masonic symbols, have been found on its granite exterior walls and the surrounding lawn.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts or Castles.
Location. 40° 41.379′ N, 74° 2.623′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is located in front of the statue on Liberty Island. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph Pulitzer (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Emma Lazarus Alexandre Gustave Eiffel (about 300 feet away); The New Colossus (about 300 feet away); Cornerstone of the Statue of Liberty Pedestal (about 300 feet away); Edouard Rene De Laboulaye (about 300 feet away); Frederic Auguste Bartholdi (about 300 feet away); Liberty’s Symbols (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features an aerial view of the Statue of Liberty on the remains of Fort Wood. It has a caption of “The remains of the military base of Fort Wood prior to closing, April 1933.”
Two photographs appear on the right side of the marker. One depicts “Fort Wood cannons, with view of Ellis Island, ca. 1895. Photo courtesy of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin.” The picture below this is of a “Union Army garrison at Fort Wood, 1864.”
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 7, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.