Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Airy in Carroll County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Parrsville & Ridgeville

Two Towns at the Four Corners

— The Historic National Road - The Road That Built The Nation —

 
 
Parrsville & Ridgeville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 2, 2008
1. Parrsville & Ridgeville Marker
Inscription.  
Here at Milestone 31, about 130 feet southeast of its original location, the Baltimore and Frederick-Town Turnpike created two towns as it moved west. Both Parrsville and Ridgeville are now a part of Mount Airy.

Parrsville, to the east, was named for a nearby spring that creates the headwaters of the Patapsco River, flowing east into Baltimore Harbor. Parr’s Spring, an important landmark for early surveyors, is the point of four corners between Carroll, Montgomery, Howard and Frederick Counties.

Just west, Ridgeville is located on an 830-foot tall ridge, the highest point on the National Pike between Baltimore and Braddock Heights. Traveling over this ridge after 1831, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad hitched up horses to pull cars up two inclines on the east side. Brakemen would guide the train rolling down two more inclines on the west side. After a tunnel was constructed in 1901, travel by rail eclipsed travel by road.
 
Erected by America's Byways.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1831.
 
Location. 39° 21.87′ N, 77° 9.668′ W. Marker is in Mount Airy, Maryland, in Carroll County. Marker is on Old National Pike (Maryland Route 144), on the right when traveling west. This is Wayside 17 on the Historic National Road in Maryland. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Airy MD 21771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Location of the Mount Airy School (approx. half a mile away); Mount Airy (approx. half a mile away); All Wars Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Civil War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Nicodemus Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Simpson Hotel (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Flat Iron Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); Olde Town Restaurant (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Airy.
 
More about this marker. On the lower left a photo shows "Located at the important crossroads of the National Road and old Route 27 (Mount Airy Main Street), the Eagle/Nelson/Ridgeville Hotel was a landmark for a century."
In the lower center a photo displays, "The old Ridgeville Grange, serving automobiles traveling on the National Road doubled as an old-fashioned
Parrsville & Ridgeville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck
2. Parrsville & Ridgeville Marker
mile marker, pointing to both Frederick and Baltimore."

On the lower right a photo states, "Residents of Parrsville, Ridgeville, and Mount Airy were employed by the B&O Railroad for generations."

The background of the marker is "National Road at Fairview Inn" which is the standard for markers in this series. An elevation diagram of the national road is displayed on the bottom of the marker's face.
 
Marker and Milestone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 2, 2008
3. Marker and Milestone
Marker and Milestone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 2, 2008
4. Marker and Milestone
Milestone 31 M to B image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck
5. Milestone 31 M to B
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2024. It was originally submitted on January 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,584 times since then and 133 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 2, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   2. submitted on January 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   3, 4. submitted on March 2, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   5. submitted on January 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4933

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024