Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Camden in Kershaw County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
REMOVED
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Southwest Redoubt

 
 
Southwest Redoubt Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, October 2, 2011
1. Southwest Redoubt Marker
Inscription.  In 1780 - 81, the British built a series of small forts to serve as an outer line of defense for their headquarters at the Town of Camden. They were fortified with troops and artillery, making Camden relatively impenetrable to attack by the Colonial forces. This redoubt was just outside the town’s palisade southwest of the Old Presbyterian Church, this graveyard, and a few yards south of this sign. It guarded the approach from the strategic Wateree Ferry. On May 10, 1781 the British evacuated, destroying it and much of Camden.
 
Erected 2006 by Kershaw County Clean Community Commission - Historic Campbell St. Committee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1780.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 34° 13.986′ N, 80° 36.463′ W. Marker was in Camden, South Carolina, in Kershaw County. Marker could be reached from Meeting Street near Church Street, on the left when traveling east.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Agnes of Glasgow 1760 ~ 1780 (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Southwest Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Presbyterian Meeting House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Camden Oak (about 300 feet away); Maj. Gen. Baron Johann de Kalb's Original Gravesite (about 300 feet away); West Redoubt (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named West Redoubt (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Replacement Marker At This Location also titled "Southwest Redoubt".
 
Overview image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, November 8, 2011
2. Overview
Map on the marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, October 2, 2011
3. Map on the marker
Configuration of the redoubt based on General Nathanael Greene’s map of May 12, 1781
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2024. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 9, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49357

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2024