Happy Home Baptist Church
This church, founded soon after the Civil War, held its first services in a brush arbor in the Woods community of what was then Barnwell County. It built its first permanent church, a frame building, in the Zion Branch community near Old Allendale, and adopted the name Zion Branch Baptist Church. The church bought this site in 1875, built a new frame sanctuary here, and was renamed Happy Home Baptist Church.
Rev. Jacob S. Daniels served the church for almost thirty years, and the congregation grew from 66 members in 1877 to 258 members in 1890. By 1902, his son, Rev. George C. Daniels, succeeded him as pastor, and the church had 379 members. In 1911, during the pastorate of Rev. S.J. Rice, the church received a state charter and built its present church, a brick Gothic Revival building.
Erected 2011 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 3-14.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 33° 0.579′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Allendale (approx. half a mile away); Old Allendale (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bethlehem Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Allendale County War Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away); Fairfax (approx. 5˝ miles away); Barker's Mill / Skirmish at Barker's Mill (approx. 5˝ miles away); Smyrna Baptist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Concord Baptist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Allendale.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 612 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.