Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Davisboro in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Sherman's Left Wing

 
 
Sherman's Left WIng Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2011
1. Sherman's Left WIng Marker
Inscription.  On Nov. 27, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] moved from Sandersville toward Louisville. Ward’s division, 20th Corps, and Carlin’s division, 14th Corps, with the artillery and trains of both corps, moved to Davisboro and encamped. Morgan’s and Baird’s divisions, 14th Corps, crossed Ogeechee River at Fenn’s Bridge (4 mi. N) and turned toward Louisville. Jackson’s and Geary’s divisions, 20th Corps, destroyed the Central Railroad from Tennille to Davisboro and halted here for the night.

That night, Hq. Left Wing (Slocum), Hq. 14th Corps (Davis) and Hq. 20th Corps (Williams) were established in Davisboro.
 
Erected 2010 by Georga Historical Society. (Marker Number 150-16.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Sherman’s March to the Sea series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1783.
 
Location. 32° 59.467′ N, 82° 37.517′ W. Marker is near Davisboro, Georgia, in Washington
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
County. Marker is on Georgia Route 24, one mile west of Main Street (Georgia Route 231), on the right when traveling east. The marker is at the east end of the bridge over Williamson Swamp Creek. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Davisboro GA 31018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fenn's Bridge (approx. 3.8 miles away); New Hope Methodist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Riddleville (approx. 6.3 miles away); David A. Gordon (approx. 6.7 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 6.9 miles away); Tarver's Mill (approx. 8˝ miles away); Historic Highways (approx. 8.7 miles away); a different marker also named The March to the Sea (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Davisboro.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker of the same title and text erected by the Georgia Historical Commission at this location in 1957, which had disappeared.
 
Sherman's Left WIng Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2011
2. Sherman's Left WIng Marker
Looking east toward Davisboro
Sherman's Left WIng Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2011
3. Sherman's Left WIng Marker
Lookng west at the Williamson Swamp Creek Bridge
Sherman's Left WIng Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2011
4. Sherman's Left WIng Marker
Georgia Highway 24 continues 13 miles west to Sandersville, where Gen. Sherman spent the night during the March to the Sea.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 803 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on November 14, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 11, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49508

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 2, 2023