Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Christ Church

Episcopal

 
 
Christ Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 9, 2011
1. Christ Church Marker
Note that below the marker is an additional NRHP marker.
Inscription.  The Reverend Lot Jones, while on a missionary tour of Georgia, founded Christ Episcopal Church on March 5, 1825. It was the first congregation organized in Macon. On December 26, 1826, the Georgia General Assembly enacted, “that Christopher B. Strong, Edward D. Tracy, Albert G. Clopton, Addison Mandell and Reuben Burroughs are hereby declared to be a body corporate, by the name and style of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the town of Macon and the County of Bibb.” Under the leadership of the Reverend Seneca G. Bragg, the first church building was erected in 1834.

The Reverend Joseph A. Shanklin was rector when this Gothic structure was erected. On Sunday, May 2, 1852, it was consecrated by The right Reverend Stephen Elliott, the first bishop of Georgia. James B. Ayres was the master builder. The original church bell was given to the Confederate Government in 1863 and in 1868 a new bell was presented to the church by A. A. Roff, a member. This bell bears the inscription: “On earth peace, good will to men.”

Sidney Lanier, poet, was married to Miss Mary Day in Christ Church on December 19, 1867.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 011-19.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1954.
 
Location. 32° 50.33′ N, 83° 37.581′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Walnut Street, 0 miles east of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 582 Walnut Street, Macon GA 31201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bibb County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lanier House (about 500 feet away); Jefferson Davis at the Lanier House (about 600 feet away); Wilson's Raid To Macon (about 600 feet away); Emerson Building (about 600 feet away); Hardeman Building (about 700 feet away); William Augustus Bootle (about 700 feet away); Sidney Lanier's Law Office (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
 
Christ Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 9, 2011
2. Christ Church Marker
Christ Church, Episcopal image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 9, 2011
3. Christ Church, Episcopal
The church building was completed in 1852, and remodeled in 1920.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 788 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49579

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024