Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Former Site of Tory Gaol
built to house
British prisoners or Tories,
stood on this site in June, 1776.
The tiny two story gaol
was 30 feet long and 20 wide.
The six-room facility
held prisoners throughout the
Converted to a stable
after the war,
the building stood until 1846.
Erected by Farmers & Mechanics National Bank.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1776.
Location. 39° 24.994′ N, 77° 24.618′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on East 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frederick MD 21701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Market Street (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memoriam (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capital For A Summer (about 400 feet away); Francis Scott Key (about 400 feet away); The First Stone Church of the Lutheran Faith in Western MarylandCultures Meet (about 400 feet away); John Thomas Schley (about 400 feet away); Enoch Louis Lowe (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Also see . . . Early History of the Frederick County Jail. Includes some additional details of the Tory Gaol. Also mentions several individuals hung for treason during the operation of the gaol. (Submitted on January 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,192 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.