Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Philipsburg in Granite County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Mill A and B

 
 
Mill A and B Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 9, 2009
1. Mill A and B Marker
Inscription.  The Granite Mountain Mining Company constructed two mills adjoining the mining operation know[n] as the Ruby Shaft. These structures, Mill A and Mill B, housed a total of 70 stamp mills which processed ore. Stamp mills were used to crush the ore so the metal could be separated from the base material by amalgamation of mercury. The stamp mills were very noisy and produced a great deal of dust. The mines and mills all operated six days a week.

When the production of the Ruby Shaft exceeded the capacity of Mills A and B in 1889, the Granite Mountain Mining Company built a mill in Rumsey to handle the additional ore. They named this new operation Mill C.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
 
Location. 46° 19.002′ N, 113° 14.638′ W. Marker is near Philipsburg, Montana, in Granite County. Marker is on Contract Mill Road. Granite is located approx. 4 miles from Philipsburg, out the dirt/gravel Granite Mountain Road. Inquire at the Pintler Ranger Station or locally. Follow the signs to Granite. Park in the parking lot,

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
it is foot traffic only. A walking guide may be available. The marker may be found by following the Granite Ghost Walk. Street names do not matter very much in Granite as they are all unsigned. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philipsburg MT 59858, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ruby Shaft (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Granite Mountain Mining Company Office (about 500 feet away); Superintendent’s House (about 600 feet away); Granite Ghost Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Miner's Union Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Bi-Metallic Aerial Tramway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Morse Hall (approx. 2½ miles away); Weinstein Building (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philipsburg.
 
Mill A and B Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 9, 2009
2. Mill A and B Marker
Mill A and B image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 9, 2009
3. Mill A and B
Mill A and B image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 9, 2009
4. Mill A and B
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 541 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on November 18, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49631

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024