Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eden in St. Clair County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Camp Winnataska

 
 
Camp Winnataska Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, November 16, 2011
1. Camp Winnataska Marker
Inscription.  Dr. Elwyn Ballard, Commissioner of Boy Scouts in Birmingham, and his wife, Florence Aye Ballard, discovered this site in 1914, and became vital forces in the founding and growth of the camp. Boy Scouts and Boys Club members from the area first camped here in tents in 1916. Through Dr. Ballard, the Interdenominational Birmingham Sunday School Association acquired the camp in 1918 and offered sessions not only for boys but for girls as well – the first organization-sponsored camping for girls in Alabama and among the first in the South. Daniel Ray Price, Executive Secretary of the Association, directed the camp 1922 – 1957. Rosa V. Strickland, educator and church leader served as girls camp director 1919 – 1954. Winnataska early received national recognition for excellence of staff, facilities, and programs.
 
Erected 1997 by Camp Winnataska Advisory Committee and the Alabama Historical Association. (Marker Number None.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
 
Location. 33° 32.514′ N, 86° 26.528′ W. Marker is in Eden, Alabama, in St. Clair County. Marker is on Camp Winnataska Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leeds AL 35094, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Cook Springs Hotel (approx. 4.4 miles away); John Henry (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Depot (approx. 5.6 miles away); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Leeds Benchmarks In History (approx. 5.9 miles away); Jonathan Bass House Museum (approx. 6.7 miles away); Congressional Medal Of Honor Recipients (approx. 6.9 miles away); Old Sterrett Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away).
 
Regarding Camp Winnataska. The last part of the marker text is difficult to read, but the Alabama Historical Association´s records indicate that it should read, "In 1986, Camp Winnataska and the Boy Scouts, Birmingham Area Council, formed a joint venture to operate the Camp Winnataska Outdoor Education Center."
 
Camp Winnataska Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, January 16, 2011
2. Camp Winnataska Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 930 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49659

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024