East Columbia in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Ammon Underwood House
A structure erected in noted old river port town of Marion in Republic of Texas era. First portion, of hand-hewn cedar, was built about 1835 by colonist Thomas W. Nibbs. Merchant-civic leader-soldier Ammon Underwood (1810-87) bought and enlarged house in 1838-39. In 1839 he married Rachel Jane, daughter of William and Catherine Carson, of Austin's original colony. President Anson Jones and other famous Texans often visited the Underwoods.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places 1976
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9612.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Texas Independence. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 29° 8.421′ N, 95° 37.017′ W. Marker is in East Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (County Road 703) and Austin Street (County Road 300E), on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 523 Main St, West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Sweeny-Waddy Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); "Columbia Blues" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dance Gun Shop (about 300 feet away); Aldridge - Smith House (about 400 feet away); Tyler-Bryan-Weems House (about 500 feet away); Bell's Landing (about 600 feet away); East Columbia Historic District (about 600 feet away); Site of Carry Nation's Hotel (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Columbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,034 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 20, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.