Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Columbia in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Aldridge - Smith House

 
 
Aldridge - Smith House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Debbie A. Sutherland, November 20, 2011
1. Aldridge - Smith House Marker
Inscription.  This local landmark was built between 1837 and 1841 for William Aldridge, a farmer and large landholder. After a 10-year ownership by merchant, Henry Hansen, the house was sold to J.H. Dance and Co., a construction firm that supplied arms to the Confederacy. Businessman Thomas Masterson Smith (1882-1965) and his wife Mary (1881-1964) leased the house from 1908 until they purchased it in 1917. The home has been in the Smith family for more than 60 years.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9518.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 29° 8.379′ N, 95° 37.067′ W. Marker is in East Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on Jaggard Road (County Road 730) 0.1 miles south of Austin Street (County Road 300E), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 533 Main St, West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dance Gun Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); "Columbia Blues"
Aldridge - Smith House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Debbie A. Sutherland, November 20, 2011
2. Aldridge - Smith House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Tyler-Bryan-Weems House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sweeny-Waddy Log Cabin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Ammon Underwood House (about 400 feet away); M.L. Weems House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bell's Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); East Columbia Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Columbia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. This page has been viewed 747 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 20, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49717

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 2, 2022