In the 1890s, leaders from the black community sought the advice of County Judge Arthur B. Green, and he offered to give the citizens three acres of land for a new cemetery. Trustees of the cemetery accepted the gift on October 24, 1896. They moved the graves from the original location to the new site and changed the cemetery name to Greenfield to reflect the judge's generosity. In 1910, cemetery trustees bought additional land from Green's widow and children.
The cemetery's earliest marked grave dates to 1906, but dozens of earlier graves exist. The military service and fraternal organization markers found throughout the burial ground reflect the contributions, efforts and work of generations of the area's African American residents.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2003
Smaller additional marker
This marker given by Judge Ruth Pritchard in memory of her many friends who are buried in Greenfield Cemetery.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1911.
Location. 30° 43.618′ N, 94° 56.612′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 59 Bypass. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston TX 77351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Indian Trails (approx. 1.2 miles away); Locomotive No. 5 (approx. 1.2 miles away); First State Bank of Livingston (approx. 1.2 miles away); Livingston (approx. 1.2 miles away); "Polk County Enterprise" (approx. 1.2 miles away); Central Baptist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Polk County, C.S.A. (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1905 Courthouse Annex (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.