Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
S. Heller Elevator Company
Historic Third Ward
placed on the
of Historic Places
S. Heller Elevator
Tour Site 2
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 43° 2.021′ N, 87° 54.348′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Milwaukee Street (State Highway 32) and East Buffalo Street, on the right when traveling north on North Milwaukee Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 240 N Milwaukee St, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #6 (within shouting distance of this marker); Standard Paper Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #4 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Phoenix Knitting Plant #3 (about 300 feet away); Baumbach Building (about 400 feet away); A.W. Rich Shoe Co. (about 400 feet away); Standard Bedding Co. (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Regarding S. Heller Elevator Company. The S. Heller Elevator Co. was built in 1908. The Art Moderne entrance was added in 1922 and in 1929 a connecting building was constructed on the corner. Within a few years, Heller had a printing company, an engraver and the Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle as tenants. Heller closed its doors in 1956 and the building has been owned and occupied by the Two Forty Corporation since. A unique diving equipment manufacturer and supply shop, a running equipment store and women’s boutique share the space. -Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure
Also see . . . Historic Third Ward - Take a Tour. Historic Third Ward Association (Submitted on November 29, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 667 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 23, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.