Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Richmond Supply Company Building

 
 
The Richmond Supply Company Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 19, 2011
1. The Richmond Supply Company Building Marker
Inscription.  
This building was built in 1903 at 139 West Richmond Avenue by J.Q. Black who supplied the area with coal, wood, hay, and grain. Robert Dornan Sr. bought the building in 1909 and added the service of moving goods.

In 1911 he bought a truck and began the Richmond Supply Company, the oldest continuing family business in Richmond. Later his wife, Trannie Freeman, became part of the business and after W.W.II his son, Robert Dornan Jr., joined them. The building was sold in 1947 when the business moved into 145 West Richmond Avenue. The business continued until 1987.

In May 1990 the building was saved from destruction by community action. It was moved to its present location 139½ Washington Avenue to serve as an information center for the Point Richmond History Association.

Point Richmond History Association Project

 
Erected 2008 by Point Richmond History Association Project.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1990.
 
Location. 37° 55.584′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 122° 23.13′ W. Marker is in Richmond, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Washington Street near West Richmond Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 139½ Washington Avenue, Richmond CA 94801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Critchett Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank of Richmond (within shouting distance of this marker); Women's Westside Improvement Club (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Sentinel" (within shouting distance of this marker); First City Hall of Richmond (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Lady of Mercy Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); By Land and By Sea (approx. 0.4 miles away); El Toro (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
More about this marker. Although the marker is undated, the Point Richmond History Association's newsletter (Vol. XXVI-5) indicates that the marker was to be dedicated in May 2008.
 
Also see . . .  The Point Richmond History Association Homepage. Contain historical photos of Point Richmond and newsletters of the Association. (Submitted on November 24, 2011.) 
 
The Richmond Supply Company Truck image. Click for full size.
0504-Mid Dornan, Morland Truck, Courtesy of the Point Richmond History Association
2. The Richmond Supply Company Truck
This photo, also rendered in the upper left corner of the marker, depicts the Richmond Supply Company Truck ("Coal, Wood, Hay & Grain"). The fine print on the photo identifies the truck as a Moreland Truck, with Frank Joseph, Haley, and Bob Dornan. Although undated, the photo would have been taken between 1920 (the date Moreland Trucks commenced production) and later 1934 (the date when the steeple of the Our Lady of Mercy Church (visible in the near background) was removed).
The Richmond Supply Company Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 19, 2011
3. The Richmond Supply Company Building
The building now serves as an information center and mini-museum for the Point Richmond History Association. The building is open on Wednesdays from 5:00pm - 7:30pm, and on Thursdays from 11:30am - 2:00pm.
The Richmond Supply Company Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 19, 2011
4. The Richmond Supply Company Building and Marker
The marker is visible here, mounted on the side of the building between the two windows.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 24, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49804

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024