Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Galveston "News", C.S.A.
Founded 1842 by Samuel Bangs, Texas' first printer. Published after 1843 by Willard Richardson, who put up the first 4-story building in Galveston to house the offices and printing plant.
Soon after the Civil War began in 1861, cut back from a tri-weekly, to weekly. When Governor Francis R. Lubbock in 1862 asked civilians to evacuate, moved to Houston. Destroyed by fire in February, resumed publication in April on straw paper or yellow tissue, and with few columns. Galveston items came by messenger, while back home a Union sympathizer freely published "Flake's Bulletin."
The "Texas Almanac," a sideline first put out in 1857 to attract immigration and summarize state events, was published in war years in Austin by David Richardson as the "Tri-Weekly Almanac Extra."
Confederate veteran A.H. Belo joined the "News" staff in 1865 and in 1866 moved with it back to Galveston. In 1875, became chief owner of the "News" and "Texas Almanac." In 1878 he installed Texas' first telephone, from his office to his home.
With the founding of the Dallas "Morning News," Oct. 1, 1885, Belo became the first publisher
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7472.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 29° 17.06′ N, 94° 51.946′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Teichman Road just west of Commodore Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8522 Teichman Rd, Galveston TX 77554, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Galveston Daily News (a few steps from this marker); Site of Magnolia Grove Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Italian Vault (approx. 2.3 miles away); Valentine T. Dalton (approx. 2.3 miles away); Greek Orthodox Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Rosewood Cemetery (approx. 2½ miles away); a different marker also named Rosewood Cemetery (approx. 2½ miles away); Original Site of St. Mary's Orphan Asylum (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
More about this marker. Located in front of the Galveston County Daily News building.
Additional keywords. Newspaper
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 725 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 26, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.