Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Magnolia in Pike County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Pike County Courthouse

 
 
Pike County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, November 18, 2011
1. Pike County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Pike County, named for Zebulon Pike, was organized in 1815. In 1875, the county seat was moved from Holmesville to Magnolia, and a courthouse was built the next year. All records were lost when the wood-frame building burned in 1881. Rebuilt in 1882, the courthouse was remodeled in 1918 to its present appearance.
 
Erected 2005 by Mississippi Department of Archive and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1815.
 
Location. 31° 8.628′ N, 90° 27.589′ W. Marker is in Magnolia, Mississippi, in Pike County. Marker is on East Bay Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Magnolia MS 39652, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865 (approx. half a mile away); Harper Baptist Seminary (approx. 1.3 miles away); Henry Quin Home (approx. 5 miles away); C.C. Bryant (approx.
Pike County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, November 19, 2011
2. Pike County Courthouse
Click or scan to see
this page online
5.6 miles away); McComb (approx. 6.9 miles away); Bo Diddley (approx. 7 miles away); Summit Street (approx. 7.7 miles away); Lynyrd Skynyrd Crash Site Memorial (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Magnolia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photograph of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49943

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2021