Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Mary's Hospital
The new hospital proved to be a vital addition to the health care facilities of the area. Three months after it was opened, a yellow fever epidemic struck the city. One victim of the disease was the hospital Superior, Mother M. Blandine. Following the epidemic an orphanage and school were established here by the Sisters for children whose parents died of the sickness. The school was closed and the orphanage was later moved to another site in Galveston.
St. Mary's played a significant role in the aftermath of two area disasters. In 1900, despite heavy damage caused by a hurricane, the hospital remained open for the treatment of storm victims. In 1947 health care was provided here for many of the thousands injured in a series of chemical explosions and
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7173.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Science & Medicine.
Location. 29° 18.556′ N, 94° 46.574′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and Avenue E, on the right when traveling north on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 8th St, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Galveston Medical College (approx. ¼ mile away); "Old Red" (approx. ¼ mile away); James S. Waters House (approx. ¼ mile away); Davidson-Penland House (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Sidney Sherman (approx. 0.3 miles away); Menard-Ganter House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Best-Lucas House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Boddeker House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Also see . . . St. Mary's Hospital. Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 30, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 30, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.