Temple of Folly
Unfortunately, within a few months, the local mines faltered and on November 14, 1880, a devastating fire destroyed half the town forcing Murphy to relocate to Bishop, where he opened a new Temple of Folly.
Although its existence was brief, Mammoth’s Temple of Folly typified the pioneer spirit of those first residents on the eastern Sierras and will forever be associated with the first days of Mammoth Lakes.
Erected 2008 by E Clampus Vitus, Bodie Chapter No. 64.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in
Location. 37° 38.111′ N, 118° 57.785′ W. Marker is in Mammoth Lakes, California, in Mono County. Marker can be reached from Sherwin Creek Road. The marker is near the Hayden Cabin, a short trail walk from the Sierra Meadows Ranch parking lot on Sherwin Creek Road. The nearest intersection is Old Mammoth Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mammoth Lakes CA 93546, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Margaret & Emmett Hayden Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Old French Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Knight Wheel (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Tavern (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Mammoth Saloon (approx. 0.8 miles away); The White Fence at Old Mammoth (approx. 1.9 miles away); Mammoth City (approx. 2.3 miles away); Casa Diablo (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mammoth Lakes.
Additional keywords. saloon
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 973 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 30, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.